Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hong Kong Highlights

Good Morning!  Hope you're having a great weekend.  After much delay (and a lost camera!) I will finally be showing you some highlights of our travels in Asia from last month.  First up are some highlights from our time in Hong Kong, followed by a few posts throughout this week from our time in Bali.  I hope you enjoy them!


We arrived at the tail end of the Chinese New Year festivities and our hotel lobby was decorated with these gorgeous lanterns and cherry blossoms - it was lovely.

 My family name had to be captured.




The bustling markets did not disappoint.


It's the year of the dragon and I got really caught up in it. 
I bought some beautiful dragon fabric that will eventually be pillows in our new home!

 I managed to get two new pins for my Chinese wedding chest that were lost in our move to Europe a few years back.  I'll show that on a future house tour when we get moved in.  :)


Eastern remedies...


A shop full of incense - I really liked the coils.



Yes, that is what you think it is!


 More Chinese New Year decoration in Hong Kong Park.



We managed to catch this inredibly spirited Lion Dance nearby, and it was great!

Have you been to Hong Kong?  If so what were some of your highlights? 
If not, do you want to go or is it not your thing?

9 comments:

debra @ 5th and state said...

oh i so want to go someday, so foreign and intriguing except for some of the market food! :-)

love that you are taking us with you barbara and cannot wait for bali, a dreamed about destination
debra

Karen said...

I had never thought I wanted to go but a dear friend of mine just returned from a visit to her daughter (who is teaching in HK) and she had such wonderful things to say about it that I've added it to the list. Great images.
Karen

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

I was born in Japan and have not been back, since leaving as a baby. I've never had much inspiration to return to the region, until hearing lots of wonderful comments about Burma and Bali. It's such a foreign language and culture. Practices like eating dog and buying a pigs head, hanging outside at a market, is just unthinkable to me. Someday, after I get enough of Europe, if that day ever comes, I may get there. Glad you enjoyed!

Haus and Home said...

Wow great images! I love your idea by getting dragon fabric for year of the dragon to make a pillow.

I thought the salted duck eggs were mini watermelons :)

Acquired Objects said...

My husbband was working in Japan for a year and a half and we were able to go over to Hong kong for a week. I much preferred Hong Kong over Japan, the people were more friendly and open.

Enjoy your Sunday Evening!

XX
Debra~

Stacy CUrran said...

Barbara, it looks fantastic! I would so love to go! Looks like the trip of a lifetime!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

I just can't justify going to communist China knowing that people are imprisoned simply because they cry out for liberty. Instead, we traveled to the Republic of China (Taiwan) and experienced the culture and the beauty but our consciences were at ease that the citizens are free to speak and read and worship as they please. I'm glad you had a good time!

I Dream Of said...

Oh what fun. I've never been to Hong Kong - or the far east for that matter. So fun to travel vicariously through you. Hope this crazy weather hasn't dampened your spirits - I see blue sky this morning, hope it sticks around! XO

Jalon Burton said...

For so many years, I used to say that when I die and go to heaven... I will be in Hong Kong. Once the British handed the city back over, things changed but it is STILL one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It has over 10 years since I have been there and do miss it. Thank you so much for sharing these images to bring back just a little bit of 'heaven' to my Monday! Enjoy your week - Jalon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...