Saturday, October 22, 2011

Linen Haus Update: Beautiful Antique Books

I was at one of our local antiques markets today, looking for some old books I had (regrettably) passed up last weekend that I hoped to find again.  I didn't find them so I was starting to get discouraged.  Then, I came across these antique books that I think are really special.   Fate is funny that way, isn't it?  

I am just thrilled to add these to my Linen Haus collection!  As you probably know already, I only buy things that I would love to have in my own home (it's part of my mental checklist when deciding to buy)...I'm going to have a hard time parting with these beauties!

These are all of the books combined and below is a breakdown:


French, 1924, cognac-colored leather binding with gorgeous marbling.
I love those gilt fleur de lys down the spine too... 

A set of German books from 1924. 
The leather binding is a beautiful espresso finish with the gold design. 


A very old German book in remarkable condition, from 1895.
I love the design that wraps all the way round - it looks even better in person! 

I also came across another beautiful dough bowl from Hungary.
It was in such good shape I knew it had to come home with me.


Hope you're all having a great weekend!
I'll be back on Monday...

10 comments:

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Beautiful Finds, Barbara. Wish I was there shopping with you on Saturday mornings...XO, Mona

The enchanted home said...

Love your finds!! You have such a beautiful and refine eye Barbara, and I realized this when I got a special package in the mail today (wink). Emailing you now.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

love the books..they are very pretty...am planning my library and decor around the one's I'm getting from you...I keep wanting to add more things to my wish list with you but will wait till you get back to the states or I (finally) come for a visit...
best,
maureen

Stacy CUrran said...

My husband and I were just in a bookstore today with books like this....funny to come home to this post! Hope you are having a great weekend :)
Stacy

Acquired Objects said...

The books have great color and patina to them but probably would stand out to much with linen books. I just bought some vellum books for my husbands office and can't wait for them to arrive. Enjoy your Sunday!

Acquired Objects said...

Barbara, pop over to my blog I've given you the versatile blogger award!

Victoria said...

I love your new items, Barbara, and cannot wait until your shop opens.
Best...Victoria

Meghan @ Wishful Thinking said...

More fabulous finds! You can't go wrong with beautiful antique books!

Haus and Home said...

Beautiful books, oh the stories they would tell too about where they have been (and what they have seen) :)

Thoughts on Design said...

Your pictures remind me of how beautiful a book binding can be.
The leather, embossing, gold leaf, marbled paper, etc. make me want to reach out and touch them.

Cheers,
John

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...